Author Topic: Corny get a 3 year deal  (Read 2394 times)

Offline herdorbust2

Corny get a 3 year deal
« on: April 01, 2024, 01:12:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 450k base and 100k incentives per like Creasy.

The following users thanked this post: W0lfman, Garbanjo, Collis P

HerdFans.com

Corny get a 3 year deal
    « on: April 01, 2024, 01:12:10 PM »

Offline MUfan08

Re: Corny get a 3 year deal
    « Reply #1 on: April 01, 2024, 01:14:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, miltonherdfan, GreenDaddy, herdfan129, herdorbust2

Offline whf

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2024, 01:36:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • https://x.com/LukeCreasy/status/1774846165680316789?s=20
    Almost seems to "cheap" to me, but hey, I'd have loved to make $350,000 one year in my life.

Offline Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #3 on: April 01, 2024, 01:48:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Almost seems to "cheap" to me, but hey, I'd have loved to make $350,000 one year in my life.

My read: it's a "here's your shot" deal

The following users thanked this post: W0lfman, svherd, ru4mu2, Collis P, chris88, Flat Tire 2, GreenDaddy, BuckHerd, herdorbust2

Offline MUonium

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2024, 02:06:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • went from a rumored 2 yr, no buyout to a 3 yr deal with buyouts?  yeah, i ask the same- is MU hurting for basic dollars at the moment?

first, i wish success for CJ.  just like DD and those before him- let's see some recruits more consistantly.

second, i'll be pissed off within three years if we suck simply because of not doing a thorough search.
    « Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 02:07:51 PM by MUonium »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdfifteen, MicDrass1

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2024, 02:08:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My read: it's a "here's your shot" deal

My guess would be, if he should deliver a homerun year or two this figure could be renegotiated upwards very quickly.

Offline herd2win

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2024, 02:10:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Would love to see the language of the contract.  What does mutual buyout mean?  If he is terrible year 1 and does not use the portal immediately can we let him go for now future pay?  What is his buyout?

I am rooting for him but don't have confidence based on his time working with Dan and not being a difference maker.

The following users thanked this post: horsrman, miltonherdfan, MicDrass1

Online Rockin Herd Fan

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2024, 02:11:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Interesting, I wonder if it is 3 one-year deals, or a true 3-year deal?  I would also be interested to know what the buyout will be.  Hopefully it will be low, so MU can easily get out of the deal if Corny doesn't work out. 

Offline MUfan08

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2024, 02:18:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd, elginherd, herdorbust2

Offline MUfan08

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2024, 02:23:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• The AD is getting everything ready.

Offline parshall2marshall

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2024, 03:02:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• I am rooting for him but don't have confidence based on his time working with Dan and not being a difference maker.

Ever heard the old expression that when the boss is [i.e. was] wrong refer to #1 ? Like some have said, give Corny a chance.

I'd rather have had G. Marshall or Brannen but this is the hand we were dealt. The Administration is saving big money, with a better chance at keeping Obinna and Martin - I just hope it does not backfire. Basically depends on how Corny reshapes the roster (Others have stated that as well)..
    « Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 03:06:35 PM by parshall2marshall »
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline IM4DHERD

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2024, 11:26:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If he uses all his allotted practice time, focuses on teaching shooting, defense and rebounding, and does not be a mad scientist working on personnel in the wrong places, i.e., a 6' 10" point guard who looks like a dear on ice while leaving a 5' 11" guard giving up 5-6" on D under the basket, he cannot be worse.

I'd love to see a list of the recruits presented to DD that he shot down so he could experiment and see where they wound up and how successful they've been.
    Make a difference...Join the Big Green

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, muherd34

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2024, 11:26:05 PM »

Offline muherd34

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2024, 06:49:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If he uses all his allotted practice time, focuses on teaching shooting, defense and rebounding, and does not be a mad scientist working on personnel in the wrong places, i.e., a 6' 10" point guard who looks like a dear on ice while leaving a 5' 11" guard giving up 5-6" on D under the basket, he cannot be worse.

I'd love to see a list of the recruits presented to DD that he shot down so he could experiment and see where they wound up and how successful they've been.

Definitely curious in that list also.  Easy to say DD didn?t want them, maybe they didn?t want us.  Not a DD guy, but I have been hearing this and wondering if its true.

Offline BigJimslade

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2024, 06:24:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Almost seems to "cheap" to me, but hey, I'd have loved to make $350,000 one year in my life.

The University did the cheap and easy thing when hiring him.
    He may have success .. who knows
    But it was nevertheless cheap and easy.
    And it makes Ol Dan feel a little better

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, parshall2marshall, Buffalo Bop

Online ru4mu2

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2024, 07:03:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The University did the cheap and easy thing when hiring him.
    He may have success .. who knows
    But it was nevertheless cheap and easy.
    And it makes Ol Dan feel a little better
    I think it's a good contract for all involved.  Let's be honest, I doubt Corny was on any D1's radar to be a HC.  He just tripled his salary with a chance of quadrupling it if he hits bonus money.  If he wins, he'll get paid.  Basketball can be turned around quicker than any sport. 

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, scope58

Offline elginherd

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2024, 09:38:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The way all the compensation posts are worded, the base salary is only $116.7k/year.

That can't be right, can it?
    Surely someone in the AD can check releases for precision in language.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2024, 09:39:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hope Corny is successful. From what I seen in the press conference, he comes across as a smart and an articulate person.

I am just skeptical of the whole hiring process. I don't know how it went down, but it hasn't been very transparent. The only positive is that Dan is gone.  I would have wished we had opened up the process and at least made private contacts with other candidates to judge their interest in the job. A good AD should have had a short list or access to a company that deals with coaching searches. Just look at how JMU hired their new coach.

I am very disappointed the BOG allowed Dan to make the decision for the "head coach in waiting". I don't think Dan has the experience in college basketball to make a unbiased decision on a future head coach. His only exposure to college basketball is at Marshall which gives him a limited knowlege. In ten years one would think he would have attracted good assistants who moved up to larger programs like other mid major programs. Too many times, the person in charge promotes the person he likes instead of the best candidate.

This is no reflection on Corny. I have heard the rumor that Keatts was offering him a job at NCSU which is very encouraging. Keatts did shake up his coaching staff a few years ago at NCSU and you can see the results. I understand Greg White is high on Corny which is good. Remember Greg convinced Dan to take Elmore.

I have been following The Herd since the late 1950's and I have seen Marshall make some really stupid hires in coaches and even presidents over the years. Other peer schools have made much better decisions in their hires. Just look at WKU and JMU for example.

Again, I hope Corny is successful. I am impressed with his love for Marshall, but he needs to win. I hope this is going to be a good decision for both. I do think we will be a better team/program with Corny in charge than Dan.
    « Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 10:29:42 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: forphase1

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2024, 09:50:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Corny can work/handle today's recruiting landscape better than Dan. He's already all over the Portal. I see today's college basketball as a younger coach's game. Marshall made the right choice to retire Dan and move to a younger coach.

I agree the hiring process sucked but the bottom line is a change had to be made.

I hope/pray Corny does well.

The following users thanked this post: chris88, wlf, overherd1

Offline Haveyouherd222

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2024, 09:52:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Corny has turned down several other opportunities to remain at MU.   Most recent was an assistant job at NCSU and the HC job at NC A&T.   We have several portal kids slated for visits over the next week.    You're going to see the difference in recruiting immediately.

Offline whf

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2024, 10:01:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think that the whole thing was done professionally and in keeping with the integrity and process paths that Smith brings to MU.  Corny was given the Coach in Waiting position; that is probably why he didn't bolt elsewhere when opportunities arose. It would have been a total flop on the universities part if they had not given him a chance after making that commitment to him earlier.  And in a distant view, this was all part of how they were going to depart from their agreements with DD, and/or upon his retirement. In essence, we get a guy who knows basketball, can communicate with players today, has the respect of the coaching staff, and isn't obsessed with how he got the job. Good job Brad Smith, and thanks for having the team spirit to get it done, Christian Spears.  Proud of MU in this case and desperately hoping for the success of a great MU grad and upstanding, God-fearing young man.

Go Herd.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan93, Hoofbeat, horsrman, chris88, elginherd, GreenDaddy, overherd1, herdfan129

Offline BigJimslade

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2024, 10:06:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 450k base and 100k incentives per like Creasy.

Not correct

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2024, 10:19:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not correct

I know. Fat finger but thanks for setting me straight.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2024, 10:19:26 AM »

Online Always THE HERD

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2024, 10:39:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think that the whole thing was done professionally and in keeping with the integrity and process paths that Smith brings to MU.  Corny was given the Coach in Waiting position; that is probably why he didn't bolt elsewhere when opportunities arose. It would have been a total flop on the universities part if they had not given him a chance after making that commitment to him earlier.  And in a distant view, this was all part of how they were going to depart from their agreements with DD, and/or upon his retirement. In essence, we get a guy who knows basketball, can communicate with players today, has the respect of the coaching staff, and isn't obsessed with how he got the job. Good job Brad Smith, and thanks for having the team spirit to get it done, Christian Spears.  Proud of MU in this case and desperately hoping for the success of a great MU grad and upstanding, God-fearing young man.

Go Herd.
    If Mike D'Antoni and others had not been alienated from the school many years ago, things may have turned out totally different for MBB

The following users thanked this post: wlf, herdfan129

Offline herdfifteen

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2024, 11:45:54 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If Mike D'Antoni and others had not been alienated from the school many years ago, things may have turned out totally different for MBB
    How so?  For someone who has been alienated they sure kept their involvement in the mix.

Offline wlf

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2024, 12:11:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He was interested, Marshall athletic director wasn't is what I heard.

The following users thanked this post: Always THE HERD

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2024, 12:11:01 PM »