Author Topic: Ironton Tribune: Slate working his way back to NFL caliber  (Read 569 times)

Offline ZackUSAF82

• Franchise Owner
  • Member Since 02/2009
Ironton Tribune: Slate working his way back to NFL caliber
« on: April 18, 2010, 06:19:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    By Jim Walker | The Tribune
    Originally published 12:04 a.m., April 18, 2010

From high school to college, there have been a lot of changes in Cody Slate’s life. Then again, there hasn’t.

Like most young boys in America playing high school football, Slate had a dream of playing college football and eventually in the NFL. For Slate, those dreams have come true or are on the verge of happening when the NFL conducts its annual draft April 22-24.

But Cody Slate is a realist. Like most men, he thinks pragmatically. He knows to put dreams in perspective. And when the Marshall Thundering Herd senior tight end suffered a season-ending knee injury with three games to play, Slate wasn’t about to panic.

“I always dreamed of playing in the NFL when I was in high school, but I also wanted to be an athletic director,” said Slate. “There are dreams and there is reality. I knew if the NFL didn’t happen, I had to have something else to fall back on.”

For most players, a severe knee injury would be devastating. For Slate, it’s just reality with another slap in the face. He tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his other knee while playing high school ball in Florida.

Link: http://irontontribune.com/news/2010/apr/18/slate-working-his-way-back-nfl-caliber/
    GO HERD!!!

HerdFans.com

Ironton Tribune: Slate working his way back to NFL caliber
    « on: April 18, 2010, 06:19:41 AM »

Offline BHFIOHIO

Re: Ironton Tribune: Slate working his way back to NFL caliber
    « Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 07:38:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • best wishes Cody!

Offline Herd 90

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 12:27:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I wish Cody the best!!

Offline morpheus

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 12:42:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Cody was working out yesterday at the stadium during the scrimmage.  Was running across the endzone, up the steps all the way to the top of the stadium, back down, across the field and up the other side.  Did that 5 times before stopping for a break.  He still has a limp with his injured leg but otherwise looked good.

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 04:52:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Cody Slate is one of my favorite Herd Players. Ive  been hoping to hear something about his condition and progress. Im hoping he makes it to the NFL.. He is a class act, period!

Offline Marshallguy04

• WaterBoy
    • Heisman
    « Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 07:16:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was about to mention the stadium stairs exercise he was doing during the practice. He looked to be in great shape. The fact he's doing all that to himself shows he's recovering strong. I hope him the best because he was the face of the football team when he was here.

Offline wvmafia

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 07:17:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Nothing but the best for Cody!

"When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows. And if you do that, if you do that, we cannot lose."

Offline marcbuff

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 07:21:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Good Luck Cody.

Offline The Right Stuff

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 07:35:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Cody is the type of kid you really root for.  I hope he makes it, but if he doesn't I think he will be successful in any endeavor he chooses.

TRS
    MU 71

Offline jt

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 01:40:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Best wishes, cody. Our next NFL star.
    Go HERD!!!

Offline tradebait

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 08:25:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I saw Cody at Walmart on Rte 60 Friday evening.  He still had a slight limp.
    Superior skill and knowledge win over fear and superstition each and every time.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 08:25:14 AM »