Author Topic: My observations  (Read 691 times)

Offline greenskeeper

• Heisman
  • Member Since 01/2010
My observations
« on: October 22, 2007, 08:33:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • #1 The team never quit, it was awesome to watch them fired up on the sidelines cheering each other on...I have to love their fight.

#2 The white out worked...I WAS WRONG...and ya know if our AD cant get us our true color Kelly that will show up, the white actually shows up on TV!! and the stadium looked really full...Im proud of our fans too.

#3The team seems to keep getting better little by little, but I think the mental errors early and the lack of belief in themselves is what is killing us...Pruetts teams believed and it worked.
    What do you call a place where the coaches are drunks, the players pistol whip local citizens and the fans mug and rob expecting mothers ? You call it - THE FLAGSHIP PROGRAM IN THE STATE OF WV!!! Ollie Luck AD

HerdFans.com

My observations
    « on: October 22, 2007, 08:33:24 AM »

Offline field pass

• Heisman
    • Member Since 08/2012
    Re: My observations
    « Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 08:39:11 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Good observations!  Way to think positive, for the most part. 

Its a tough situation when the kids dont believe anymore.  I dont think the fans do either.  Thats why this situation seems pretty scarey for Herd football.

Offline field pass

• Heisman
    • Member Since 08/2012
    « Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 08:41:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I saw that Penn State had a white out.  MAN!  That was pretty impressive.  They showed it on espn news.

Offline field pass

• Heisman
    • Member Since 08/2012
    « Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 08:44:00 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 27000 fans is pretty impressive to support any team considering that most of the fans probably didnt feel confident that we would win.  It shows how much the fan base cares about supporting the team.

Offline firstate

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 08:55:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • white out "worked" because they passed out free t-shirts to students when they entered game.

I thought it was a miserable attempt.

After seeing Penn State's white out of Ohio State last year, Why try?

Offline BULLHALSEY

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 09:23:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The "white out" you keep refering too looks good at Penn Sate because they have 100,000 plus attending the games.  Can we put it to rest?  Can we shutup about Kelly Green?  Our uni's looked great last night on ESPN hi - def.  Definitely not Mich Stete color.  Let it go.
    "Fill it up!!  Fill it up again!!  Once it hits your lips, it's so good!!"-Frank the Tank, Old School

Offline cutmeopenibleedgreen

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 09:47:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • white out "worked" because they passed out free t-shirts to students when they entered game.

I thought it was a miserable attempt.

After seeing Penn State's white out of Ohio State last year, Why try?

Honestly, do you think they didn't pass out t-shirts at PSU? Don't we have something better to worry about than the god-forsaken "white-out" last night? An 0-7 record, perhaps? Jesus, just be happy we had fans there who chose to participate. There's enough negativity around Huntington right now, spread yours elsewhere.
    "What day is it, son?" "Game Day." "What day?"  "Game Day!" "Thats Right! Time to play till the whistle blows!"

Offline greenskeeper

• Heisman
    • Member Since 01/2010
    « Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 09:55:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No honestly I'll NEVER shut up about Kelly Green South Fla bull..its our FREAKIN school colors...how stupid to wear mich state green when we are kelly....and its why there was a white out, we dont show up on TV....get with the program dude, I'm not going away...and there are too many people with me that are true herdfans....BACK TO KELLY BULL BOY!
    What do you call a place where the coaches are drunks, the players pistol whip local citizens and the fans mug and rob expecting mothers ? You call it - THE FLAGSHIP PROGRAM IN THE STATE OF WV!!! Ollie Luck AD

Offline HerdAlum00_01

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 10:09:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • To bring this back to the important topic...observations of the actual game, the emotion our guys showed on the bench was amazing.  No quit in them.  I felt so bad that those boys didn't get the win. 

*As has been stated, the first quarter killed us again.  I'm not sure what exactly we were trying on our first drive, duck formation or not, but that -11 yard loss hurt. 

*Why did we not try to move the ball before the half?  We had 3 timeouts and 1:12.  We could have at least gotten in FG range.

*Our defense seemed to come out flat, but picked it up some later in the game.  This shows me that we might have the talent, but lack confidence.

*I had really hoped that the defensive stand and then the blocked punt could've been the turning point for our season.  The emotion was there, we just couldn't capitalize and keep it going.

*Why is it that we cannot get turnovers?  We rank 118th in INTs with 1 and Tied for second to last with 2 fumble recoveries.  To win big games, or just a game in general, the defense needs that turnover.  Do we not teach ball stripping or how to break on a pass?

*In the end, our overall effort was great, the fans were great.  I didn't really see anything that cost us the game, thought the INT's hurt. 

This lost seemed to hurt the most, because I really felt they might have been turning the corner out there, but just came up short.  Marshall needs to start strong, looking for the big play downfield, to get our confidence up.  The same thing needs to happen in the 3rd quarter.  We used to own quarters 1 and 3, we need that back. 

Offline jstherd

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 10:29:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This was our best effort and the team is getting better. Next weekend we get our first win.

Offline Photo by

• Global Moderator
    • Hall of Famer
    « Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 11:02:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • ...*Our defense seemed to come out flat, but picked it up some later in the game.  This shows me that we might have the talent, but lack confidence....

I thought the defense was out-manned overall and adjusted tactics to compensate. JMO

"If you count victories in terms of perseverance, commitment, and determination our team went undefeated in ’71."
    ...Jack Lengyel

Offline DC01HERD

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 11:04:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • ...*Our defense seemed to come out flat, but picked it up some later in the game.  This shows me that we might have the talent, but lack confidence....

I thought the defense was out-manned overall and adjusted tactics to compensate. JMO

What? We played against a backup qb and they lost there leading receiver halfway through the game.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 11:04:33 AM »

Offline greenskeeper

• Heisman
    • Member Since 01/2010
    « Reply #12 on: October 22, 2007, 11:15:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Defense remains a concern...we did air it out a lot more, and man it was fun to watch! Thats MARSHALL football!

I dunno, they do seem to be getting better...still we need to keep getting better...

Here's my take folks...our EXIT on this year is next years entrance...if we continue to allow losing to enter our minds, we will lose, we must believe we will win and beging anf continue to win...if we only win the last dang game it will be a start towards next year...we must change our course.

Offline BULLHALSEY

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2007, 11:26:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am not a south florida "Bull", I live in FLA, but I am a HERD fan, you just sound ridiculous w/your constant banter about shades of green when our team is 0-7.  Again, let it go, it is becoming redundant.
    "Fill it up!!  Fill it up again!!  Once it hits your lips, it's so good!!"-Frank the Tank, Old School

Offline greenskeeper

• Heisman
    • Member Since 01/2010
    « Reply #14 on: October 22, 2007, 11:32:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • lets focus on the issue bull....my observations, go back to them...like:

team fight, we never quit...

great fan base at freakin 0-7 we had 27,000 fans...if we were winning we'd have 40K fans!

the white out worked, we looked like a full stadium, and you could actually see us...

lets focus on those things...cause I'm not letting kelly green go, you might as well get used to every post you make about using mich state colors, i'll challenge it...in fact I'll post 3 times as many posts as normal about it.

Offline ru4mu2

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2007, 11:39:36 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Marshall doesn't wear michigan state colors, they wear Marahsll colors.

Online W0lfman

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2007, 11:44:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This was our best effort and the team is getting better. Next weekend we get our first win.
    You may be right.  My thinking after watching last night is we have a few real good players, a few not so good players and a bunch inexpereinced players.  That may be why we can looks so good on certain drives and then look completely lost 5 minutes later in the game.  Bogacheks article last week gave us a good explanation on why this happens.  

One thing to be positive about is that this team is 0-7 and has shown they are not quitters.  Kudos to the coaches for keeping them together.

On a negative not I saw on several occasions our OL would be running around looking for someone to hit, but never hit anyone.  Those big guys need to be laying the lumber to someone on every play.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2007, 11:44:08 AM »